STUDY 1: HEARING GOD: DIFFERENT WAYS GOD SPEAKS
Introduction: The basis for this phase of studies may be found in Jn. 8:30-32, 2 Tim.2:15 and 2 Tim 3:14-17. God Almighty –the Creator and Ruler of everything seen and unseen – speaks. His words are: spirit and life; cannot be a lie; shatters even rock; sees into every nook and cranny; pure, trustworthy, and right (Jn.6:63; Jer.23:29; Heb.4:12-13; Ps.19:7-9) His speaks through pictures, words, visible creation and however else He chooses. Be it through the Scriptures, or dreams or another person, God speaks to us for the purpose of helping us enjoy true life to the fullest by doing His will. Thus, he warns us, corrects us, directs us, instructs us, and encourages us. (Jer.7:28) When we hear and obey His commandments, He calls us friends. And if we are his friends, He will share His secrets with us. (Jn.15:14; Matt. 22:36-40; 1 John 5:2-3)
Let us look at the different ways of listening for God’s voice and how to avoid deception.
- Why does God speak?8:3; Exo.19:5; Deu.4:36; 5:22; 28:1-2; Jer.7:23-for our good.
- To whom will God speak?-3:8;Jonah 2:10; Ezek.3:18; Jn.14:21; Isa.50:4; Prov 8:17-His creation
- How does God speak to us?
- Dreams and visions– Gen.20:3; 31:11; 40:8; Num.12:6;24:4; Job.33:14-18; Act 12:7-9; Jer.23:16; Lam.2:9; Eze.13:7
- Creation and nature– Rom.1:19-20; Job 38:1; Gen.1:14; Ps.19:1-3
- People-Exo.18:13-24; 2 Sam.12:1; Mk 13:11
- Inner witness of the Spirit-Act 27:10; Rom.8:16;
- Audible voice– 1 Sam.3:4-7;1 Sam.9:15; 1 Kg 19:11-12; Matt.17:5-6,
- The Holy Spirit– Lk 2:26; 12:11-12; Jn.14:26; Act 13:2; 16:6; 1 Cor 2:13;
- Angels/Ministering spirits-Judges 6:12; 1 Kgs 19:5; Mtt.17:3; Heb.12:22-25
- Scripture-2 Pet 1:20; 2Tim3:16; Rom.15:4
- What should we do when God speaks-OBEY-Jer.11:4,7; respond-Isa.6:8; don’t refuse-Heb.12:25; don’t harden heart-Ps.95:7-8; hearken-Isa.28:23; Ps 103:20
- How do we recognize Gods voice-Isa.8:20-must be scriptural, Phil.4:7-8- should come with peace, 1 Jn.2:13-increases with experience; James 4:8 -increases with intimacy; Jn.14:23-obedience
- When does God speak-Jer.29:13; 33:3; Matt.7:7-when you desire Him to; Gen.17:1-and when He wishes to communicate
- What interferes with hearing God?- sin -Hab.1:13; doubt/unbelief-James 1:5-8 ;bitterness-1 Pet.3:7
Conclusion: The key to knowing who is speaking to you is intimacy. The more you know someone, the better you can identify his voice. That is why you recognize your mother’s voice. As you press on to know God like Paul in Phil 3:8-10, you may err in your what you perceived to be God’s voice but all things work together for good to those who love God. You will know it better with time as you keep loving Him and obeying Him. Just keep looking for Him. It is those who hunger and thirst that are filled and if you know that you live by His words, you should make it your main pursuit.
FELLOWSHIP AND THE BREAKING OF BREAD
- What is fellowship/breaking of bread?– 1 Cor.10:16-24; 1 Cor.12:12-27; 1 Cor.11:23-34
- What happens when we fellowship? – Ps.133: ; Eph.4:3; 1 Jn.1:7;
- What hinders fellowship?-1 Jn 2:9,11; 1 Jn.1:3-9; James 5:14-16; Matt.16:6,11-12; 1 Cor.5:6-8; 1 Cor.6:15-20
- What is the effect of partaking wrongly? – 1 Cor.11:27-31